Friday, March 21, 2008

big brother...

The carpool line was interesting today to say the least. I thought I was lucky for parking 4th in line and sitting in the car with Jesse enjoying the beautiful spring day while waiting on Ezra to exit the school. Everyday I see this boy who is a perfect twin to Ezra, same super fair skin, blue eyes and platinum blonde hair... today though, Jesse saw this boy. When this other boy came out, Jesse kept his eyes on him saying 'Ezra, Ezra, Ezra' as he always does when he sees his big brother, he's always super excited to see Ezra after school. We were probably a good 25 feet from the boy and if I hadn't known what Ezra was wearing, I'd have worried he was being abducted by some strange man myself! This kid IS Ezra's twin in this world! Jesse became anxious to see this boy walking away from us and onto the sidewalk with some strange man. At this point, Jesse began to make a noise as if to say 'huh?' and kept looking at the boy and then at me with an expression that read "mommy, go get my Ezra!!". The anxious feeling began to overwhelm Jesse, and it turned quickly to true sadness and tears. He wanted his brother, and it looked like some strange man took him! I kept reassuring him over and over that 'no, that's not our Ezra, no Ezra is in school, our Ezra is in school still'... of course, today would be the day when it would be FOREVER before Ezra came out, and when he did Jesse was SO relieved that his Ezra was in the car with us safely. He high fived him, Ezra hugged Jesse to make him feel better, and after I explained to Ezra what was wrong with Jesse, Ezra told Jesse "I wouldn't leave here with a stranger Jesse, I'll never do that."
It nearly broke my heart to see the sadness and it warmed my heart to see the relief in my 2 year old's eyes. It was quite a tense moment, and then Ezra saves the day!! Ahh.... brothers. What a bond.

0 comments: