Sunday, October 21, 2007

Not chilly at all - but we had chili anyway.

I'm 31 years old, and I've never actually made chili!! So today - I embarked on what I thought would be the impossible. Chili. Why impossible, why such a big deal?


  1. I like to make food for my family - more importantly, I like them to ENJOY it.

  2. My husband is picky with chili - he likes it hot.

  3. Ezra is picky with chili - he likes it mild.

  4. Jesse doesn't eat chili - yet.

  5. I'll eat it whatever way - as long as it does not taste like chili powder or cayenne pepper only....

Which brings us to why it seemed impossible... I had all of the right things... the seasonings, fresh onion, chopped tomatoes, kidney beans, pinto beans, ground turkey (we don't do red meat), tomato sauce, chili peppers... I even had a recipe with variations of mild, medium, spicy. So I make it - added extra tomatoes, I like it chunky. It smelled good - and after about 30 min at a simmer, I thought I'd taste it. BLUH. NASTY! Who knew that 2 hours later it would turn out to be 'not so bad'. It could use tweaking, but I think I have a good thing going. My own little format of making chili. Next time I'll add more of this, and that. But it was given the thumbs up by those who matter - and they generally don't eat it if they don't like it in my house. So, it's fall - it's time for chili... minus the weird weather.


To most who read about my little cooking adventure- it probably isn't a big deal. But to me, as a mom and wife - it is. I love making something my family likes. Wendy's chilli isn't made in my kitchen... I add time (not Thyme) and feel good about giving my family healthy food! Thanks for indulging me!

0 comments: