Tuesday, October 2, 2007

What's in a word?

There are a few blogs that I follow weekly, this was posted recently and it caught my attention. I’ve always thought that words like this can become overused, and lose their meanings to a degree. Each person has their own feelings on what sacrifice is – this blogger really put this into perspective in a unique way and made me think. I thought I’d post it, more just to revisit the word and it’s said/understood meaning. For me personally, the blogger really achieved his/her intent – in making me consider the word’s meaning and value for what it means to me.

BEGIN POST:
This is another one of those words that is used so commonly, I sometimes think that what a sacrifice is may be lost to an extent.


From a dictionary, you will basically get this:
1) The giving up of something for the sake of something else having a higher claim.
2) Loss incurred for selling something for less than it's value.
3) To surrender or give up , or permit injury for the sake of something else.

This does define the very basics, but when something becomes sacrificial, it has fuzzy edges and a whole lot of opinions.

When we decide to have children and give until it bleeds, is it a sacrifice? When does child care and raising become a sacrifice? (or does it at all?) If only one of the couple wants children and the other doesn't at all, does the latter sacrifice a good part of their life?

When does care of another become a sacrifice? I know several people who have virtually given up what anyone would call a normal life for another. If you ask them they will tell you they wouldn't have it any other way out of their love for the person. Would that still be a sacrifice? There are points where this does become sacrificial, right?

For those who are not wealthy, but still give heavily economically, is that a sacrifice? Or is it only sacrificial when it takes something from the family? Or is it even then if all are in agreement?

If I join the military, wanting to risk my life for my country and am killed or wounded, is it a sacrifice? Or did my family sacrifice instead, or did both?

If someone or some thing has a higher claim than I and I give, am I sacrificing?

How do you define a true sacrifice? Is it when you don't want to but do anyway? Is it when you do want to but it takes too much? I know there are thousands of situations and examples, but when does anything become true sacrifice?
END POST

0 comments: