Saturday, May 24, 2008

What's going on?

answer: Not much really - lately I've spent more time staring at the birds with my kids, going on walks and talking together, and making our family schedule work as best we can to invlove more together time. It's been an adjustment, but we think we've managed well so far. I'm only working during downtimes, and that works best for both the family and the companies I work for. Jonathon gets home at dinner, and spends all time with us until the kids go to bed, and then some nights he does freelance work. So far so good. I'm fairly sure that my family knows I work - but I don't think it interrupts the importance of my staying home with our kids and that is where I personally don't want to lose sight.

I've been working on 'life books' for the kids, and am going out this week to buy craft supplies in and together with the kids we will construct each of them their very own 'treasure box'. Ezra will do his own by himself, but Jesse will need a little help! Their treasure boxes can be under their beds, or in their favorite place to hang out in the house - and they can put whatever they want in it so that it's always there for them. The book I just finished reading has given me lots of wonderful and natural ideas on how to have a more imaginative and creative home for our kids. Everyone (including grownups) need magic and imaginative surroundings. So I've been working diligently on getting the necessary supplies on order to have more available to them. Kids learn from play, and ironically I learn from watching them learn!! It reminds me of how simple things really should be - instead of making things so complex. This goes for most every avenue of my life, including friendships, creativity, and so on. It's very important for me to leave a legacy for my kids - one that shows compassion, creativity, open mindedness and thoughtfulness. Lately I've tried to make sure that both kids see that no matter how 'busy' I am, I make time for them individually and together, I make time for my friendships, make time for myself, and make sure that our family time isn't on the back burner to life's 'busy stuff'. It's doable on most days! I've been inspired, and I'm going through a growing spurt with that inspiration.

We're most of our time outside of the house - not necessarily going on a trip in the car (who can afford that all the time, right?!?) but more things outdoors. Leaving room for neighbors to come over, friendships to grow, and interaction. We've had our eyes opened alot lately, and we realize that even though we have room to grow as parents - that we're not doing a bad job after just a bit of observation with other kids right here practically in our own back yard. So we're not perfect, we don't do everything by the 'book'. I do notice that we're beginning to reap the rewards of teaching our kids good values. Like when our neighbor's 16 year old daughter, who watches her younger siblings, invited Ezra over for play and hangout time for a while and when we walked over to tell him it was time for dinner the 16 year old came to the door and said in a very matter of fact tone "I'll trade you both of my sisters for him." She said he was well behaved and played nicely with them. It's just nice to know that he's also interested in doing the right thing when we're not looking! Though this isn't always the case and we know it, we haven't met a kid who is perfect yet! These moments make us proud none the less. Also, whenever Jesse receives a 'treat' he will immediately say 'oh Ezra' and want to get one for Ezra! He's sharing so well (for now), and that's a great thing.... that should last about 20 more minutes (he's 2)... HA!

The video below is of Jesse getting sticker belly. He's been loving stickers lately and wants to wear them on his belly. This was right before nap and he was being a goofball! Later I found out that he has a skin sensitivity to the adhesive backing of the stickers.


0 comments: