Saturday, May 31, 2008

survival skills

I say survival skills only because I have ZERO experience with container gardening... so these plants have survival skills!
Above: Strawberry blooms everywhere!
Below: Broccoli literally grows overnight. This plant is getting huge!

Below: there are 4 pepper pods on there - the white blooms have already fallen off and the tiny peppers are emerging.

Below: Tomato blooms - we have 3 blooms right now, this is an Early Girl plant - so sometime this month we should see tomatoes!

Below: This is eggplant - we have 2 growing, they're both about this size. I've never personally grown eggplant - so I don't know what to expect quite yet!

Below: One of our two squash plants; this one is resurrected. Last week I didn't' think it would make it. We used organic vegetable food spikes after we saw the first blooms, and now its back again! Hopefully it will survive. I think this weekend I will buy one squash plant in case the ones we grew ourselves don't make it.


I didn't photo the onions, basil, lavender, or zucchini.. but they're growing too! I'm starting to see little brown spots on leaves, and some of the leaves look nibbled on by critters. We're trying not to use any chemicals, and doing our best to grow these with store purchased organic soil, compost, etc., so I read in a locally printed magazine that lady bugs actually eat aphids, immature white flies, spider mites and other bad bugs. You can actually purchase lady bugs at a local nursery - the chances of them sticking around are pretty good in a garden atmosphere. I'm going to check this out if I keep seeing this critter evidence on my plants!

0 comments: