Saturday, July 5, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad!

Today's my dad's 64th birthday! Happy Birthday dad!!! We spent the morning with dad, Denise, and Haleigh at dad's house, took him a little birthday gift and just hung out. I haven't seen Haleigh since Christmas, so it was nice to see her! We talk weekly on the phone, but it's so much more fun to spend time together in person!! We had fun hanging out with dad for the morning of his birthday. Something that came to me was that dad and I share something on our birthdays that can only be described as bitter sweet. How we can turn another year older on our birthday and celebrate having had a great year only to wake up the very next day to remember and mourn the loss of someone we loved and held close to our hearts. My grandpa died 1 day after my dad's 41st birthday, not even 1 day... he held on until just after midnight, making sure with all his might that he didn't pass away on his son's birthday. How ironic is it that now I have that same bittersweet chain of events to occur on my own birthday. I'll turn 32 this year, and one day later it will be 1 year that I've spent w/o my brother. I don't think I'll miss him any more on the anniversary of his death, as I'm sure is the same with my dad - but it becomes even more fresh in our minds and hearts to think that a year, or in dad's case, 23 years, have gone by without being able to celebrate the gift of another year lived with our loved ones. Both grandpa and my brother Mike would say "don't be sad on your birthday because of me"... dad had a fun day planned w/ Haleigh as his special guest for his birthday and I plan to be sitting beach front on mine!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated BDay Mr Vickrey!

Anonymous said...

I had a great time too. It is ironic how the dates fall as they do. Love all your blogging.

Love,
Dad