Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Name that plant


We planted more veggies indoors and this time my tags that I used to separate 'what's what' have fell off! So, it's a fun guessing game for me. I'm no professional gardener, I won't even pretend to know what should go next to what and how long it should take to produce an item for me to savor (I call my stepdad for this info - HE could be a pro!). While growing up, I was surrounded by plants, gardens, etc., and my mom always let me help pick things, but I never really could tell the difference in the leaves and plant itself until it produced something. It is a fun challenge, and I'm up for that anyday! So anyone who cares to take a guess at this, just let me know :) it will be appreciated - I learned today from my mom that okra plants will get super tall.... so it'd be nice to know which ones are okra!!! HA! Today I'm transplanting the tall ones (whatever they are - okra, broccoli, or squash) into containers... the small ones and the ones with barely a sprout will stay in the makeshift greenhouse.
We've already planted 2 squash plants, 2 strawberry plants, about 25 onions, 1 sweet pepper plant, and 2 eggplants - so far they've managed to live through my torture. I've realized that containers was the right choice for us, we can bring them in on the nights that are potentially too cold for them. I'm not going to take credit for growth or even it's continuous life - I'll just say that I'm offering it the basic stuff... sun and water. I have tried to be resourceful and I set out two old mixing bowls and I'm catching and using rainwater for the plants (unless Jesse dumps it out first!)... I still have to water them with the garden hose, but this way I'm trying to use what we get for free first!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not green thumb either, but this reminds me of what my cucumbers or squash/zuccini looked like. I just can't remember which one!