Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Life Lessons

One of the hardest lessons for me to learn as a parent has been that it’s just not all about me. Today is a perfect example. Before I had kids, I had to have my living area (apartment or house – wherever I was at the time) in tip top shape. I’ve always had a desire to keep things ‘in order’. Today, that was NOT the case! By the end of the afternoon, I was either stepping on or over every toddler toy imagined. It took all of 5 min to tidy up once I was in a position to do that, but during the day, Jesse and I played and learned together! When he napped, I didn't clean - I worked!

With two kids in the house playing and learning, and enjoying themselves – everyday isn’t a neat day inside of these 4 walls. A toddler tornado, a 9 year old boy who likes to let his closet take the brunt of his toy storm…

Upon becoming familiar with my role as a mother I had epiphany … It’s not about impressing the neighbors. It’s not about out-doing anyone. It’s not about fitting the mold I’ve created in my head of what makes a mother good. It’s about the smiles on the two boys faces that live in this house! It’s pretty simple; it’s no longer all about me.

Today, and everyday for that matter, I am thankful to be a mother.


0 comments: