Tuesday, November 18, 2008

looking the part

I have a business meeting tomorrow for most of the day, this isn't important to anyone but me and the businesses that I work for I suppose but here's where I found myself in a dilemma...

I USED to dress for business most days... this is before I took off my chino's and blouses and traded them in for worn out cozy jeans, sweat pants *gasp*, yoga pants, and leisure suits. 99.9% of all of my work (from home) is conducted in super casual mommy gear. When I go to school functions, I throw on some regular khaki's and a v-neck and that's about as dressy as it gets for me.

I USED to be a slimmer me and have plenty of that size in dress pants in my closet... this is before I managed to find nearly every pound of my pregnancy weight I lost. I'm not going to paint a faux picture here, I'm sporting a mini-muffin top, a bit of a jelly belly, a jiggly giggly mummy tummy, if you will. It's not a huge deal, I'm not *overweight* by my doctors standards in fact I'm within my average weight for my height. This is weird for me because I have never weighed the average except when pregnant. Family and friends know that this is a new chapter in my book.

So I rummaged through my business clothes from days of yore, and found that I had slim pickins, nothing winter worthy in blouses and tops, and it's COLD all of the sudden in our little part of the world! So tonight after dinner I ran out to hunt for something that would work. I managed to come across some great deals, thank goodness for holiday sales! How sad is it that it's come to this? My wardrobe consists of various styles of cotton tees in a rainbow of colors, a few casual dress shirts, and I actually had to wipe down my heels (gag - hate heels) because they've been collecting dust on the shoe rack since my brother's funeral.

All I have to say is that while I'm thankful for working from home, dressing super comfy and casual at my leisure, I do sometimes find myself missing those days in the office.... then things like today's running around getting clothes de-wrinkled and laid out for the next day and making sure the shoes match, reminds me why I used to get up so darn early just to get ready. Getting dressed up to look the part, which is somewhat redundant since I now do the exact same work from the comfort of my couch, bed, kitchen table, dining room, or kids rooms while they play. I am the same capable person either way. I have a high respect for all of my mom friends and family who go to an office each day, I know that someday I may return to the office myself. I'm thankful for where I am now in my life, I'm glad to be able to be at home and work, it seems to fit me for now... unlike most of my nicer clothes.

3 comments:

Bones said...

I bet a lot of moms identify with this post! I hope it goes well! I'm thankful it worked out SO WELL for you to work at home and not miss a second of the boys' lives. Isn't God awesome?

Michael F said...

Yoga Pants? They make pants specifically for Yoga? Weird...

About 4mths ago I was to the point of a new wardrobe or loosing weight. Everything I had was about to burst at the seams! In the past (pre-hospital visit for Jon) I would have just bought new cloths and called it comfortable again but I decided to get back in the exercise habit. My cloths are falling off now and I still need to buy new cloths cuz my dress cloths are so worn out from wearing/washing them all the time. Maybe Heather will let me go to the consignment shop and get some new (used)ones :)

just another mother said...

Yoga pants rule. You should get some... HA.